November 4, 2016

Kobbari Podi - Simple Spicy Powder in Andhra Style

Hi readers, as I promised I am back with another interesting spicy powder recipe and my momma's special :)"Andhra Kobbari Podi", very easy to make and store. All you need to do is fry the coconut pieces and dry red chillies and grind it into a coarse powder that's it!!! Kobbari Podi is a spice powder which we eat generally with hot hot steamed rice and ghee. It is a multipurpose powder that we can use in stir vegetable fries like potato fry, brinjal fry, ladies finger fry,tindora fry. 


I learnt this Kobbari Podi from my mother, in my childhood my momma used to make this spicy powder.We all enjoyed kobbari podi with hot steamed rice and ghee.Marvellous !!You can't express the feeling in words...This spicy powder always reminds my mother,she is a great cook i have known ever.She always used mortar and pestle for this spice grinding.Whenever i visit my mom's house, she makes this spicy powder for me with lots of love. I still feel that taste. My mom's hand made foods inspired me a lot in making different recipes.Let us learn how to make this simple spicy powder "Kobbari Podi"...


Ingredients:
1 tsp oil for roasting the dals and coconut
1tbsp black gram dal (minappapu) 
1tbsp bengal gram dal (senaga pappu) 
10-15 dried red chillies
Half a coconut, dried, grated or finely sliced 
salt to taste 



Preparation:
  • Grate the dried coconut or slice it into thin pieces.
  • Heat a tsp of oil in a heavy bottomed vessel or pan and roast the dals and dry red chillies in a pan on low heat till light brown. Nice aroma comes from dals.
  • Remove from the pan and cool.
  • In the same vessel add the grated or sliced coconut pieces and roast on low heat for 3-4 minutes. 
  • Remove from the pan and allow it to cool for sometime.
  • Once the dals, red chillies and coconut pieces are cool, shift to a mixer grinder, add salt and grind it into a coarse powder.
  • Store in an air tight container.
  • Spicy 'Kobbari Podi' is ready to serve. Serve it with hot steamed rice and ghee.
Hope you enjoyed my recipe "Kobbari Podi". Please leave your comments and suggestions here in comment box. 

Nagasri

2 comments:

About Me

My photo

Hi everyone !! My name is Nagasri. I am from Andhra but staying in Hyderabad, Telangana. I love both andhra and telangana foods. I love Cooking and eating too :).  I like to experiment different recipes.Have a look at my blog,try and enjoy!!! Don't forget to leave your valuable feedback at my blog. Other than cooking I love listening to music. Here I am sharing my experiences and experiments in cooking !!

Nice to meet you all !!
Nagasri