Spicy Coconut Powder

Hello Foodies, today our special recipe is"Spicy Coconut Powder", very easy to make and store. All you need to do is fry the coconut pieces and dry red chilies and grind them into a coarse powder that's it!!! Coconut Powder is a spice powder that we eat generally with hot steamed rice and ghee. It is a multipurpose powder that we can use in stir vegetable fries like potato fry, brinjal fry, ladies finger fry, tindora fry. 




I learned this Coconut Powder from my mother, in my childhood my momma used to make this spicy powder. We all enjoyed Coconut Powder with hot steamed rice and ghee. Marvelous!! You can't express the feeling in words...This spicy powder always reminds my mother, she is the great cook I have known ever. She always used mortar and pestle for this spice grinding. Whenever I visit my mom's house, she makes this spicy powder for me with lots of love. I still feel that taste. My mom's handmade foods inspired me a lot in making different recipes. Let us learn how to make this simple spicy powder "Kobbari Podi"...
Ingredients:
1 tsp oil for roasting the dals and coconut
1tbsp black gram dal 
1tbsp Bengal gram dal 
10-15 dried red chilies
Half a coconut, dried, grated, or finely sliced 
salt to taste 
Preparation:
  • Grate the dried coconut or slice it into thin pieces.
  • Heat a tsp of oil in a heavy-bottomed vessel or pan and roast the dal and dry red chilies in a pan on low heat till light brown. Nice aroma comes from dals.
  • Remove from the pan and cool.
  • In the same vessel add the grated or sliced coconut pieces and roast on low heat for 3-4 minutes. 
  • Remove from the pan and allow it to cool for some time.
  • Once the dal, red chilies, and coconut pieces are cool, shift to a mixer grinder, add salt and grind it into a coarse powder.
  • Store in an air-tight container.
  • Spicy 'Coconut Powder' is ready to serve. Serve it with hot steamed rice and ghee.
Hope you enjoyed my recipe "Coconut Powder". Please leave your comments and suggestions here in the comment box. 


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts